These days, it's hard to find anyone who doesn't consider themselves a DIY home improvement expert of some sort or another. Unfortunately, some of these "experts" believe that they know how to wire houses and other structures for electricity?and that is a dangerous belief.

There are a hundred thousand ways a DIY electrical wiring can go wrong, resulting in anything from simply not having power to the possibility of electrocution or an electrical fire. To avoid these dangers, you should hire a professionally trained and licensed Atlanta technician to do any wiring work in your home.

Common Problems with DIY

There are several potential issues that occur with DIY electrical wiring. Our residential electrical contractors get calls about fixing these common problems:

  • Ground fault problems ? Ground fault systems help to stop the flow of electricity if the system becomes overloaded, thus preventing shocks and keeping all of your electronics safe from surges. Homeowners rarely understand how to properly implement a ground fault system, which can result in thousands of dollars in damages if a surge hits?and your insurance won't cover the damages because you didn't have a professional technician do the work.
  • Mis-wiring issues ? If you aren't trained to wire a house properly, you can have all sorts of mis-wiring issues and bad electrical connections throughout your home. At best, these mean your devices won't work. At worst, they are a major fire hazard.
  • Open circuits ? Open circuits are places where there is an unintended discontinuation in the wiring path, like a break or a loose wire. Our commercial technicians can quickly diagnose and fix this problem, whereas it might take a novice quite some time to pinpoint that this is even the issue.
  • Faulty devices ? Sometimes, the problem isn't even in your wiring job, it's in the device itself. However, it can be impossible to know that if you don't know your way around electrical wiring. You could need a professional technician to determine if the fault is in your home's wiring or within the device itself.